Georgia Tech: "We Can Do That"

If you somehow have not heard of the very memorable speech given at the New Student Convocation at Georgia Tech the day before classes started, here it is.
After just a week and a half in college, I can see those words to stand true. It's been a whirlwind to say the least--so many different opportunities and events and activities and lecturers. It's far more intense than I would have imagined and far more different than my past thirteen years of schooling than I ever could have expected. Last week, one of my friends spent a decent amount of time trying to figure out exactly what his homework was because college is a puppy being let off the leash in an unfamiliar park.
In the past week and a half I have:

  • Spoken to more new people than I did in all of high school combined
  • Taken part in a very formalized and legitimate Greek recruitment process
  • Run around campus, both in sneakers and heels
  • Asked professors about research opportunities and learned that I can conduct my own, completely independent research now 
  • Set up my dorm room (twice): first when we moved in and then again when two friends decided to put our mattresses in the corner of the room on top of dressers and everything from our desks and dressers onto the frames of our beds. 
  • And here's the cliche "and so much more!!!" bullet. But it's true. My roommate and I are trying to recall the past ten days but it feels more like ten months.
In ten days, I've already witnessed that college is going to be a great place of self-discovery and growth. I can't wait to do that. 

Comments

Popular Posts