Impacts


Do you remember the intro narrative to The Vow? I can still hear Channing Tatum answering the question first posed in Rent: “how do you measure a year?” He simply explained, “in moments of impact.” It made sense for that character’s situation. His meeting the love of his life—an emotional impact. That car crash—a physical impact. Her amnesia—a life-changing impact.
I think I remember this definition so well because I have always felt like I can identify with it. For the majority of my life, I have been concerned with how I am going to make an impact. How am I going to affect someone else? Can I make a difference in the world? It’s a question that comes up when we discuss the purpose of our lives, as well. We all want to have some significance and purpose, and we work all our lives to find it.
One of the paths we take to determine that purpose is education. And I believe I have put so much importance in college for so long because of this. Education is the foundation we build our lives upon. We learn, not only about physics and history, but about ourselves—what we’re passionate about or what intrigues us.
Now that I am a senior, I’ve started thinking more about where I want to be in the end. Up until now, the goal has been college. But now that it is almost here, I have finally been able to comprehend how much more there is. As importance as this next step is, I’m starting to envision the step after.
Right now, knowing that I want to make a difference, I plan to join the Peace Corps. I want to get in the action and help first-hand, rather than just raise awareness or funds from thousands of miles away. Though Peace Corps commitments are only for a two-year term, I plan to bring the skills and knowledge I acquire there back to the States. I hope to pursue a major and career in global public health by working with getting medical advancements and technologies to countries than need it and the policies behind that. Since this is one of the opportunities offered by the Peace Corps Program, I can use that hands-on experience and apply it to the policy side. I realize how different things are in real life than they are on paper, and I think my first-hand knowledge of the situation could be a huge asset in the field.
For the past few months, thinking about this plan and my future has gotten me extremely excited. I feel this tingling in my nerves and muscles and there’s really no word to describe this drive and motivation I feel. I’m almost impatient to get out there and “change the world.” And I am even more excited to see what the rest of my peers will do. Our generation is filled with thinkers, dreamers, believers, and doers. And I cannot wait for the rest of the world to experience that.
So what are your dreams and plans? What do you want to do or change? Because I know someone as amazing as you has quite a few ideas and some impressive tricks up your sleeves. Your challenge: Reply to this post and tell the world how you want to make a difference!

Comments

  1. This was such an inspiring post. You introduced your plan to change the world in such an interesting manner. I absolutely love "The Vow" , and I remember that quote perfectly.

    For me to change the world, I want to be the CEO of Google, and somehow be able to introduce Google to the medical world. Google is so powerful, and it has so many resources that reach people on a daily basis. If Google could bring that technology to hospitals and healthcare at homes, it would be truly incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the train of thoughts sara!
    Much respect to those who already have solid goals in life like becoming the CEO of google. For me, it is yet too early to settle on something. Introspection is very important after getting much exposure and thinking, "Where do i fit in? With my talents and education who can i most effectively help?" Of course I, too, yearn to make impacts on many lives all over the globe. That's why i can't wait for college to explore myself!
    Also! Let us never forget that we can always make impacts on those we encounter daily! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was not until last year that I decided I wanted to be a surgeon. This choice will challenge me both mentally and physically, pushing me beyond my limits. After college I would really love to take my skills over seas and into the battlefield. By becoming a field surgeon, I will be able to do something I am passionate about and use my skills where they are needed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely amazing Sara! I really love that quote because we are all defined by moments of impact that affect and change our lives. But we all want to make an impact on the world as well.

    For me, education is an extremely important part of my life, as you said yourself. I've always felt that every single person in the world needs to have an education of some sort, because with education comes the opportunity to get a job and therefore provide for oneself. That's why I really want to be a teacher. But besides educating people myself, I want to build schools for kids in places where they don't have the resources and money to do so themselves. I know that sounds cheesy and far-fetched, but you never know :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys have some really impeccable plans!! And I'm sure you're going to achieve them and so much more. It's really inspiring to read about them too :)
    Saaj, we could totally go on a Peace Corps mission together haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sara, this post is amazing! I never thought seriously about what I wanted to do to make an impact because I'm still young and just a junior in high school, but your post makes me realize that graduation and college is really sooner than I think.
    With that being said, I want to change the world and make an impact to the world by being a medical doctor. I want to provide medical assistance to anyone in need of one and to make the world a better place. I want to do anything that I possibly can to make the world a better and brighter place. Basically, I love seeing smiles and happiness and my goal in life is to make the people around me smile and be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this is some deep stuff. The way you write shows that you definitely have a sold grasp on your future and that you take a lot of time to develop your plans. The passion you have is also quite evident from your writing, and I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

    As to my future plans, I wish to grow up and work in the Aerospace and Defense field. As a young boy, I have always dreamed of designing and building planes. Since then, my interests have more specifically lied in creating aircraft for America's Armed Services. I would like to change the world by working on more sophisticated technologies to keep our troops safe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts