Spring 2015 FAQs

In the last 24 hours before I embark on my spring semester adventure, I figured it's about time I clear up some misconceptions.

What happened to Sara?
Rest assured, I am still alive even if I cannot be seen bumming around Atlanta and relishing my free time while everyone else is in class (and knitting way too much for someone my age). Instead, I am about to spend the next four months studying in the Political Science and International Relations Department of Bogazici University in Istanbul, Turkey.
Here's a lovely map for your reference:

Why on earth are you going to Turkey?
Well friends, Turkey is an extremely interesting country for a variety of reasons. It's the crossroads of culture, with a foot in both Europe and Asia. I have always found Turkey fascinating and it was definitely on my bucket list of countries, so why not spend four months there, right?!

So do you know Turkish?
I do not know how to speak, read, or write the Turkish language but that's okay because the classes are all in English AND we will also be taking a Beginner's Turkish class. 

Are you excited?
Yes. 
That and a host of other feelings have been rushing through me with extreme intensity over the past week. 

Are you going alone?
This is an exchange program which means it is more independent than the study abroad program I participated in Mexico. But, my friend Avery and I will be conquering this program together!

What are you going to do there?
I'll be taking taking some political science, international relations, and economics classes at Bogazici. But more importantly, I'll be exploring as much of the city, the country, and the continent(s) as I can. In fact, in typical Sara fashion, I have made a list of sites I hope to see and things I hope to do while abroad for the semester. In 17 weeks, I'll post the list again to see how many items I can cross off!

Turkey List 2015
  1. Visit at least five other countries
  2. Try something new every week
  3. Step foot on two continents
  4. Travel somewhere alone
  5. Learn how to interact with people on restaurants/shops without being super awkward/American 
  6. Visit the Spice Bazaar
  7. Eat a kumpir
  8. Drink Turkish coffee
  9. Walk across Galata Bridge
  10. Eat a sesame seed covered pretzel
  11. Take a boat tour down the Bosphorous
  12. Eat some baklava 
  13. Drink Turkish tea
  14. Eat borek
  15. Drink a glass of Ayran
  16. Pet the many stray cats
  17. Try "salep"
  18. Enjoy the view from Galata Tower
  19. Go to a belly-dancing show
  20. Visit Istanbul Archaelogical Museums
  21. Visit the Chora Church
  22. See the Valens Aqueducts
  23. Visit Beylerbeyi Palace
  24. Visit Miniaturk
  25. Take a day trip to the Princes' Islands
  26. Go to the Maiden's Tower
  27. Stroll along Emirgan Park
  28. Eat Turkish ice cream
  29. Ride the funicular (red street car)
  30. Drink pomegranate juice
  31. Visit the Suleymaniye Mosque
  32. Race around the Hippodrome
  33. Go to Ortakoy Mosque
  34. Dolmabahce Palace
  35. Walk along the Walls of Constantinople
  36. See the Whirling Dervishes
  37. Blue Mosque
  38. Hagia Sophia
  39. Little Hagia Sophia
  40. Goreme National Park/Cappadocia
  41. Ruins of Ephesus (including Library of Celsus)
  42. Archeological Site of Troy
  43. Visit the Grand Bazaar (Kapali Carsisi)
  44. Yerebatan Sarayi (Underground Cistern)
  45. Parks of Ankara
  46. Mamure Kalesi
  47. Kale Van
  48. Topkapi Palace
  49. Sumela Monastery
  50. Pamukkale
  51. Bodrum Castle
  52. Drink boza 
  53. Turkish and Islamic Arts Museum
  54. Temple of Artemis
  55. Rumelihisari
  56. Gulhane Park
  57. Hadrian's Gate
  58. Izmir Clock Tower
  59. Taksim Square
  60. Eat Turkish Delight 

Comments

Popular Posts