The Fellowship Process

As a Policy major, you probably expect me to write lots of term papers and long essays. And while I have spent many of the last four years learning and being challenged to complete these assignments for my courses, they pale in comparison to the 17,479 words I have written for my fellowship applications.

Everyone’s fellowship application process is different, but I started visiting the fellowships office in November of my freshman year. That was the beginning of a long and what at sometimes felt never ending string of rejections from every program I applied to. As a big fish in high school, it took me a minute to get over the initial sting of rejection. After that first rejection email in March of 2014, I began to doubt my qualifications and the master plan of my life. But then I found another cool fellowship opportunity. And soon I was back in the fellowships office seeking advice on my application.

One of the things you have probably all been told in the process is that sometimes it comes down to a bit of luck. And realizing that my lack of progression in some of these processes was not a direct reflection of my own abilities was what kept me from becoming discouraged. This last year of applying to fellowships looked very different than that first application I submitted.  In the past year, the biggest lesson I’ve learned has been that you can often learn a lot more in the failure than in any success. Whether that’s in an application process, an election (or two), a competition, whatever it may be.

I learned more in the process of writing (and rewriting) my personal statement than I ever would have if I was met with success on the first go. The most valuable thing I gained in this entire experience was coming away with a better understanding of myself, my passions, and my identity. This theme of identity actually became the focal point of my favorite personal statement. When I realized my passions for pursuing knowledge and social justice came from the background I grew up with and the examples my parents set before me, everything else fell into place. Suddenly I had a compelling reason for what drives my interest in global public health. And this came about because the challenge of applying for a prestigious fellowship forced me to be candidly and vulnerably honest with myself.

I think this process of introspection is the most important part of applying to a fellowship. Because at the end of the day, your greatest success will come from being true to yourself. That means not trying to fit yourself into bullets listed under “eligibility requirements,” but finding a fellowship that fits YOU. For me, it took 17,479 words and at least fifty hours in the Dr. Meehan’s office before I did. Without Dr. Meehan’s unconditional support and positivity, the last year would not even be possible. The fellowships office and C2D2 are seriously an incredible resource that I am grateful to have found my freshman year. So thank you Dr. Meehan for the many hours spent in your office, for not being visibly disappointed when I pushed back my “internal deadline” for the third time in a week, and especially for laughing at my jokes.

At the end of the day, I have learned applying to prestigious fellowships is all about telling your story—explaining what makes you the person you are, the person you will be if you receive the fellowship (and the person you will still be without it). To all of you here today, whether you have just applied to your first fellowship or your tenth, congratulations on writing one more page of that story.

Comments

Popular Posts