Sara's September FAQs

I thought I'd start off my first blog post from this new timezone the same way I did when I hopped over to this side of the planet two years ago: with a list of frequently asked (and now answered!) questions.

In the past twelve days, the dollar has dropped seven cents on the pound, Irma cancelled two days of classes at Tech, and I have bought and returned nine lightbulbs (and I'm not sure which of these is the most unusual). But let's jump right in.

Where is Sara?
Hey, what's up, I have relocated to the United Kingdom and now live in London! In case you are just as uncertain about the differences between England, Great Britain, Ireland, etc. as I was two weeks ago here is this nifty map to explain it:

What are you doing there?
I am here to pursue a Masters program at the Royal Veterinary College thanks to their lovely partnership with the Fulbright Program. This program was founded by Senator William J. Fulbright in 1946 to foster international educational exchange for students, scholars, professionals, and more. I am stoked to be among a cohort of 54 other American postgraduates and scholars who will be pursuing research and graduate study in the UK this year on subjects ranging from geology and dance to engineering and politics.


So you're studying to be a vet?
By far the most frequently asked question. Not quite (or at all, really). My program at the RVC is called One Health & Infectious Diseases and it's actually a joint program with the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. One health is a relatively new approach in the public health field that emphasizes the interactions between environment, animals, and humans when it comes to infectious diseases. This makes sense as 85% of our infectious diseases come from animals--hence the Royal Veterinary College's contribution to such a field.

How are you feeling?
SO MANY THINGS. Above all, I am thrilled to finally be delving into the realm of public health. It's been this far off goal that has seemed unattainable for so many years that I cannot believe I finally get to learn about it from such an intriguing and relevant perspective. Nerdy feels aside, I am excited, anxious, and everything in between about starting this new chapter in London and so far away from Georgia Tech. I send all my love to you yellow jackets back home, and know that you will definitely have a place to stay if you find yourself in London over the next year!

What are your goals for the next year?
Okay, so this isn't exactly an FAQ and I don't have a 60 item list like I did when I went to Istanbul, but I'm throwing it in here to hold myself accountable over the next year. First and foremost, I hope to take advantage of this degree program to the fullest. RVC and LSHTM are incredible facilities for the field I'm interested in and I plan to apply all that positive GT work ethic to these new campuses. I also could not ask for a better setting than London--at least three authors or researchers that I have studied in depth are based in London universities and I cannot wait to learn more from them. Second, in accordance with the Fulbright mission, I hope to engage with my local British community and serve as an American ambassador to the people I meet. Over the past four years, I have definitely learned the importance people and connections play in our lives and I think these networks and the cooperation that we can foster is vital in solving global challenges. I hope that learning from new perspectives, and contributing my own, will better my understanding as I pursue work on the global scale.


If you've made it this far, I appreciate your interest in these details of my life. I plan to challenge myself to avoid the mundane recounting of sites I visit and things I do that I have tended to blog about on my previous adventures abroad in future posts. There is so much to learn and reflect on this year and I hope to share more of that over the next year!

Comments

  1. You rock! Rooting for you from across the pond. I know you're going to learn about all the healths, not just one! You'll be the best vet ever; you can operate on me any time!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts