Dream Big, Live Big

This past weekend, I lost more than a friend. I lost a little bit of my childhood.
At the age of seventeen, this has been my first serious encounter with death. Morgan Lide was possibly the happiest, kindest, most optimistic and intelligent girl I have ever met. This year, she left the comforts of her home and the prospects of a "relaxing"/traditional senior year to embark on this incredible journey halfway across the world. As a youth ambassador in Indonesia, she was taking a step in the direction of her dream. She told many that she wanted to be an international diplomat, a political activist. I remember her first Model UN conference last year. We carpooled, and I asked her to tell me all about her experiences that day. From what I could tell, she had a great and successful conference experience. I remember her telling me that she wouldn't be able to do Model UN this year because she would be Indonesia. I was blown away by her passion and excitement about the trip. But even more, by the insurmountable amounts of courage and bravery she displayed by having this dream and carrying it out.
Suddenly, we learn of this unexpected accident. 
Shock. Confusion. Terror. There aren't enough words to describe the emotions so many people felt.
It's just all so surreal. That a life can be taken before it could even have the chance to start. 
But the one thing I have been able to take comfort in personally is the fact that she was following her dream and having a great time right before she passed away. She didn't live an uneventful life. She wasn't your typical 17 year-old. She was an artist. A teacher. A diplomat. "If we all live like she did, the world will be a better place." I have never read a truer statement. 
And now, her strength and character are being reflected in her family. They have been so strong and so understanding to the grieving adolescents who are struggling and confused and just wanting to help. I can't imagine what they're going through right now, or what the future will be like for them, but my heart goes out to them and I will always keep them in my thoughts.
I want to end with a happy memory--really the only true memory I have of Morgan. In fifth grade, we worked together on a presentation for our Robotics group (we won 3rd place!). I went over to her house one day to put together our amazing poster and PowerPoint. I remember sitting in her room and playing one of those battery-powered Twenty Questions games. I remember her fat and fluffy cats. We took a break to take her older sister to a music lesson. It was overcast, and I think it may have been storming on and off too. There was a ColdStone right there, so we got ice cream too. And on the drive back home--I don't know what it was I was saying exactly, but Morgan, her sister, and her mom just thought it was hilarious. And they were laughing and laughing and I was smiling. And in that moment, I just felt this pure happiness and acceptance and comfort. I always remembered going to her house to work on the project, but I forgot about that car ride until this weekend. And I think there are very few occasions on which I have felt anything similar to that degree of joy. And that just shows how bright and impacting one girl can be in less than 18 years.

Comments

Popular Posts