Week 17: A Little Beachin' Never Killed Nobody

How many Istanbul goals that haven't been accomplished yet can we squeeze in in one week while studying for finals?
1. Kilyos Beach
Bogazici actually has a campus on the beach (of course, it does) up on the Black Sea coast of the country. I didn't expect it to be all that great--it's not exactly the Turquoise Coast Turkey is known for--but it didn't disappoint! The water was beautiful, the weather was perfect, and of course there were plenty stray dogs for companionship.

2. Brunch in Besiktas and the Besiktas Market
This included eating menemen, which I can't believe I somehow managed to put off for four months. I was probably avoiding it because it contains both eggs and tomatoes, which are not my favorite things. But it wasn't bad! I would definitely recommend and I would eat it again--though it won't be one of the foods I miss the most when I'm back home.
Also, I will never forget the huge Turkish flags with Ataturk's face that we see absolutely everywhere so it needed to be documented:

3. Study in the Bebek Starbucks
While Bebek cafes have been a hot study spot for many this semester, I never made it down there very often (mostly because I couldn't bear the thought of the monstrous incline and hundred stairs I would have to endure to walk back home). But this weekend, I figured the best way to stop myself from going home early to take a nap would be to isolate myself in this Starbucks with the best view in the world. Hey, at least it was air conditioned.

4. Evenings spent at the "petek"
This "petek"--more commonly referred to as the "lookout" or "honeycomb" by us Exchange/Erasmus kiddos--is a spot on the walk down to South Campus. There's basically a bench arrangement/seating area that fills up pretty quick after school hours. It offers a pretty stunning view of the Bosphorous and an environment mixed with the serenity that comes of spot just above the crowd of the city with the musical stylings and laughter of college kids. My favorite is watching the transition as the sun goes down and the lights turn on--pink sky, then light blue/gray reflecting off the water with a few lights here and there, and finally a midnight blue with lights twinkling like stars all around us. It's another one of those moments I've witnessed this semester that can't quite be captured in a photograph. But of course, I tried anyway.

I can't believe I took my last final today and the semester is over. In 72 hours, I'll be boarding my last plane, heading back to the States. As cliche as it is, I feel like we just got here yesterday. I remember the entire taxi ride to what became our home and neighborhood--the shock at the vendors walking around and selling water and simit in the middle of the highway, the confusion when we finally pulled onto what may or may not be our street. It's crazy how overwhelming this semester seemed five months ago, but now it's already gone. 

Comments

Popular Posts