Turn The Night Up

29 de mayo
Today (after a full five hours of class) we visited the Museo de Tolerancia y Memoria for a talk about immigration and disappearing immigrants. It was very interesting to hear a different perspective and to even contribute to the discussion as American students.
In other exciting news, I've felt pretty sick the entire week with a headache and no appetite, but today I went to this minute clinic to get some medicine. I was actually a little bit surprised that I was able to fully converse with this doctor about my ailments and also understand and answer his questions. I think I am starting to feel a bit more comfortable and confident with my Spanish skills.

30 de mayo
Today we ate the greatest empanadas I have ever tasted in my life (granted I don't think I have a lot of empanada experience). I had a spinach and cheese empanada and also a potato and cheese empanada which pretty much tasted like mashed potatoes.


After the amazing lunch, we visited the Biblioteca Vasconcelos. This library is absolutely unbelievable and huge.


We made it back home in the slight drizzle (it rains almost every day here) via the Metro--which is pretty cool because we can basically navigate it ourselves now.  And after about an hour or two at home, we headed back out to the Auditorio Nacional for the Enrique Iglesias concert! I don't think I've ever been an arena this large. The event was completely sold out and we had the absolute worst seats possible--second to last on the highest balcony (Aisle Y). The entire night was pretty memorable--so many people singing, swaying, screaming at the same time. This was probably my favorite part:


31 de mayo
Finally a free day!! After some much needed sleeping in, a group of us made our way to the Zocalo area to check out the shops, bakeries, and the world cultural festival happening in the plaza. Unfortunately, we also had our first negative run-in on the Metro when one of my friend's had his phone stolen and the other his wallet. It definitely put a little bit of a damper on the day and took us all by surprise after a month with no incidents.
The Zocalo was packed. There were tents to represent each country, selling typical foods and even some clothes and other random things. Of course, we had to stop by the Estados Unidos tents where we soon became part of the event. After taking our own very touristy pictures, people began approaching people in our group to ask to take pictures with them. (This even happened by the United Kingdom tent).



1 de junio
Today was back to the study grind. We spent the day at Starbucks and then Kaitlyn's house working on our next project. We went to a tamale place for lunch which wasn't too shabby--they also had fries which were pretty delicious.
I also bought this corn with salt, lime, and chili from a vendor in the park. This is super common here so I was excited to finally try it.

Comments

Popular Posts