One More Time

17 de junio
I am so glad I had the opportunity to watch a Mexico World Cup game while in Mexico. Nija and I went to the Burger Bar Joint on Alvaro Obregon, which was absolutely packed. The Mexico-Brazil game was absolutely awesome and it was so fun to experience it here.
After the game, we met at a cafe for class and talked about journalism and culture in Mexico City. When class was over, the four of us and our TA picked up some mango (of course) and sat in the park. There are some really interesting people in Mexico. As the five of us were chatting, a very odd looking man walked up to us and just kind of stared at us as we were talking. And before walking away, he asked Nija to marry him.


18 de junio
Today we had class at El Globo. In the evening, I went to Vertigo Galeria for the opening night of Menos30. This art exhibition includes the works of 36 artists, all under the age of 30. I went to the exhibition for my last assignment of the program, which meant I had to interview people and come up with some sort of angle to then "report" on in an article. The people at this gallery were a very stereotypical "artsy" crowd. I was actually surprised by how crowded it was. Vertigo Galeria consists of the gallery section and also a store that sells independent products as well. I ended up following the photographer around, and every time he took a picture of someone with a group of paintings, I would then ask them if they were one of the artists and if I could interview them.
My favorite piece at the exhibition was this one:



19 de junio
Today's class was a visit to the building of El Milenio--a newspaper and 24 hour television channel here in Mexico. We got to see the studio as well as the center for the newspaper and online writers. It's awesome that we have such a small group because we were able to have a visit as intimate as this one.
For dinner, I had I (heart) wok, which was amazing ~the rest of this post somehow got deleted and I don't reamember what happened so I guess June 19th will forever remain a mystery~ 


20 de junio
Today we met at El Globo for class and talked a bit about four of the major magazines in DF and their various styles and ways of covering culture. Of course, in typical DF fashion, it started pouring as soon as we finished class. I decided to try to keep dry by eating lunch at the tamale restaurant nearby, but about 10 minutes after I got there the power went out. I ended up walking back home and getting very drenched on the way. 


21 de junio
Today's class was a visit to a photographer/sometimes-photojournalist, Alex Dorfsman. He told us about his work and how he usually tries to capture this relationship between la naturaleza and man-made creations. He is extremely talented. We also spoke about his exhibition, Remanso, that is now displayed in the Museo de Tolerencia y Memoria.
After class, we went down to Buena Vista for the delicious empanadas from a few weeks ago (still just as delicious, if not more). And after this, the four of us went to Kavita's actual house (which was awesome because her dad is the Indian ambassador to Mexico) and we all embraced our Indian-ness with food and movies.




22 de junio 
As I pack up my room, I can't believe how fast time has flown. It's so cliche that it has to be said: it feels like yesterday when I unpacked my suitcase and filled up the closet shelves with my clothes. Only now, instead of feeling like I'm just making a hotel feel a bit more comfortable, I feel like I'm packing up a home. Even though it went by in the blink of an eye, seven weeks is a long time. It hasn't really hit me yet that this time tomorrow I'll be in my bed in Roswell, Georgia. 
But instead of spending my last few hours of daylight in DF staring at a computer screen, I decided to take a walk and hang out in my favorite park. So now here I am, after demolishing my last La Michoucana icecream come ever, sitting on a bench with a perfect view of David's stone butt. I love that my walk here was completely silent, but now I'm surrounded with yappy dogs barking and happy children squealing. In a few minutes, I'll leave and meet the rest of the girls to watch the US-Portugal World Cup game and eat the most American food we can find. I've seen more soccer the past two weeks than I have in the first 18 years of my life. 


Comments

Popular Posts